The Pipefitters Credit Union was established on May 1st, 1957. There was no hourly contribution to the credit union. It was strictly an institution to start a savings account and apply for small loans. The credit union was founded by Brothers John E. Mueller, Eugene R. Connelly, Robert J. Vacanti, Richard A. Pinska and Raub L. Tiffany.
By the end of the 1950s, union representation in the United States was at an all time high. Thirty-two percent (32%) of the non-agricultural labor force were union members.
The total membership in Local 455 was 492. The dues at this time had risen to $5.50 a month.